Page updated 6-3-17
UNA-GP SPORT FOR PEACE AND DEVELOPMENT OVERVIEW
United Nations Association of Greater Philadelphia (UNA-GP) Sport for Development & Peace (SDP) uses sport as a platform to promote peace, education, health, cross-cultural engagement, and community development.
UNA-GP SDP provides the entry point to the United Nations Association system, and Greater Philadelphia region, with regard to Sport for Development and Peace, bringing the worlds of sport and development closer together.
UNA-GP SDP assists the Executive Director and President of UNA-GP in their activities as an advocate, facilitator, and representative of sports’ social impact in a development context.
ADVOCACY & GUIDANCE
Through sport activities, conferences, speaking series, official resolutions, multimedia outreach, public relations and collaboration, UNA-GP SDP assists the organization in raising awareness about the use of physical activity, sport and play as powerful tools in the advancement of development and peace objectives, including the Sustainable Development Goals, SDGs, with the aim of encouraging the mainstreaming and replication of initiatives that truly make a difference. UNA-GP SDP also provides guidance and assistance to those who currently engage or would like to engage in harnessing the potential of sport as a force for good.
FACILITATION & COORDINATION
Emphasizing dialogue, knowledge-sharing and partnerships, UNA-GP SDP serves as a facilitator, encouraging cross-cultural and interdisciplinary exchanges between all stakeholders interested in using sport as a tool for education, health, development and peace. In the lead-up to and during major local, regional, national and global sports and UN related events – as well as ongoing programming, UNA-GP SDP works on fostering collaboration, coordination and representation. In relation to International Day of Peace in Philadelphia in 2013 for instance, UNA-GP was instrumental in launching Philadelphia Plays for Peace, P3, a World Cup style competition undertaken by the UNA-GP and a network of partners and stakeholders.
- Sports Diplomacy | Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) of the U.S. Department of State
- Global Sports Mentoring | U.S. Department of State
- Peace and Sport: a neutral and independent worldwide organization that is operational in using sport and its values as an instrument for peace.
- International Platform on Sport and Development: a website dedicated entirely to sport and development. It is an online resource and communication tool.
- Laureus Sport for Good USA: Changing the lives of youth and strengthening communities through the power of sport.
Global Philadelphia Association
Multicultural United Soccer Club
Multicultural Community Family Services
Chester Upland Soccer for Success
Eyekonz Field Hockey and Lacrosse
Philadelphia Area Tennis District
- 10th, Street Soccer USA Philadelphia Cup 2017 – Corporate Division
- 10th-11th, Street Soccer USA Soccer for Social Change National Cup
- 10th-11th, Street Soccer USA Soccer for Social Change National Cup – Youth Division
- 11th, Street Soccer USA Philadelphia Cup 2017 – Open Division
- 11th-17th, Men’s Health Week
- 23rd, Olympic Day
- 27th, National HIV Testing Day
- Fruit and Veggies—More Matters Month
- National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
- National Soccer Month
- National Yoga Awareness Month
- Healthy Aging®Month
- 6th-7th, Aspen Institute Project Play Summit
- 15th, GlobalPhilly 2017 Commences
- 21st, International Day of Peace
- 27th, National Women’s Health & Fitness DayTM
- 29th, Family Health & Fitness Day USA®
- TBD, Philadelphia International Unity Cup
- 2nd, International Day of Non-Violence
- 24th, UN Day
- 1st, World AIDS Day
- 8 Human Rights Day