Human Rights Resources and Links
Page updated 6-28-2017
- Universal Declaration of Human Rights – the declaration itself: http://www.un.org/en/universal-declaration-human-rights/index.html
- Human Rights Educators USA: Resources for teachers.: http://www.hreusa.net/index.php
- The World as it Could Be: Human rights education program and curricula: http://www.theworldasitcouldbe.org/
- United for Human Rights – Educational materials and videos about human rights: http://www.humanrights.com/#/home
- UNA-USA Human Rights page: http://www.unausa.org/programs/leo-nevas-program-on-human-rights
- UN High Commissioner for Human Rights: http://www.ohchr.org See also “Action” page below.
Take Action — Advocacy for Human Rights
- Amnesty International: http://www.amnestyusa.org
- Human Rights First: http://www.humanrightsfirst.org
- Human Rights Watch: https://www.hrw.org/
- UN High Commissioner Action page: http://www.standup4humanrights.org/en/
Spotlight on Human Rights (New group added monthly)
- Brennan Center for Justice (7-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): a nonpartisan law and policy institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Brennan-Center-2017.07.pdf
- Their web page: http://www.brennancenter.org
- Freedom House (5 and 6-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): an independent watchdog organization dedicated to the expansion of freedom and democracy around the world.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Freedom-House-2017.05.pdf
- Their web page: https://freedomhouse.org/
- Global Citizen (4-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): All about people who want to learn about and take action on the world’s biggest challenges.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Global-Citizen-2017.04.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.globalcitizen.org
- National Immigration Law Center (3-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): one of the leading organizations in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights of low-income immigrants.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Nat-Imm-Law-Cntr-2017.03.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.nilc.org/
- Human Rights Watch (2-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): Accurate fact-finding, impartial reporting, effective use of media, and targeted advocacy in support of human rights worldwide.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Human-Rights-Watch-2017.02_B.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.hrw.org/
- Southern Poverty Law Center (1-2017 Spotlight on Human Rights): Fighting hate, teaching tolerance and seeking justice.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/SPLC-2017.01.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.splcenter.org/
- Amnesty International (12-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights). Advocating for human rights since 1961.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Amnesty-2016.12.pdf
- Their home pages: http://www.amnestyusa.org/ (AI USA) and https://www.amnesty.org/en/ (AI)
- Mary Robinson Foundation – Climate Justice (11-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Protecting communities impacted by climate change.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Mary-Robinson-Climate-Justice-2016.11.pdf
- Their home page: http://www.mrfcj.org/
- American Civil Liberties Union (9-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Works to protect the rights and liberties guaranteed by the constitution and laws of the US.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ACLU-2016.09.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.aclu.org
- Carter Center (8-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Advancing human rights and alleviating unnecessary human suffering.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Carter-Center-2016.08.pdf
- Their home page: https://www.cartercenter.org
- Human Rights Campaign (6-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights). Promoting LQBTQ rights in the US and around the world.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Human-Rights-Campaign-2016.06.pdf
- Their home page: http://www.hrc.org
- Center for Constitutional Rights (5-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Promoting rights in the Constitution and the UDHR.
- Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/CCR-2016.05.pdf
- Their home page: http://ccrjustice.org/
- Committee to Protect Journalists (4-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Fighting for Press Freedom
Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Committee-to-Protect-Journalists-2016.04.pdf
Their home page: https://www.cpj.org
- Girls Not Brides (3-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Fighting child marriage to give girls a chance.
Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Girls-Not-Brides-2016.03.pdf
Their home page: http://www.girlsnotbrides.org
- Human Rights First (2-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Pushing for the US to lead by example.
Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Human-Rights-First-2016.021.pdf
Their home page: http://www.humanrightsfirst.org
- International Center for Transitional Justice (1-2016 Spotlight on Human Rights) Helps societies in transition deal with histories of human rights abuses.
Our summary: http://una-gp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/ICTJ-2016.01.pdf
Their home page: https://www.ictj.org/